Sunday, February 28, 2010

I've had some luck lately in my never-ending quest to find quick and easy (and inexpensive) recipes that I can cook, eat and save for later. I have found 2 soup recipes that I would like to recommend. My usual drill is to cook soup on Sunday night, divide it into containers...and voila! I have lunch during the work week and a quick dinner or two if I get home late and don't want to start cooking from scratch. I swore off Lean Cuisines in 2008 and haven't looked back.

So...here are my recs, both of which I got from AllRecipes.com. If you want a more comprehensive look at the recipe, plus reviews from other folks who have made it, check out their website.

Ingredients

  • 1 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen diced carrots
  • 4 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups farfalle pasta
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
**I added green beans!**

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the chicken, onion, garlic and butter or margarine. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the carrots, tomato vegetable juice, water, macaroni and seasoning.
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the spinach and cook 5 more minutes. Serve hot with the crackers.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 98 | Total Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 6mg


SOUTH OF THE BORDER CHICKEN SOUP

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
  • 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder

Directions

  1. Heat oil in large stock pot; add tortilla strips and fry, stirring until golden. Once golden remove tortillas and place on paper towel, lined plate. Try absorbing as much oil as possible.
  2. Place onion and bell pepper into stock pot, over medium heat, and cook until soft.
  3. Add garlic, stir in flour and gradually stir in chicken broth.
  4. Add cooked chicken, frozen vegetables and chili powder and cook until thickened.
  5. Sprinkle with tortilla strips before serving.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 235 | Total Fat: 9.9g | Cholesterol: 38mg


Happy Cooking! And please share some of your favorite recipes with me. I'm always looking for something new, easy and healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment