Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Five years of Jesus Calling!

I will never forget reading April 26th Jesus Calling in 2006. The message was so poignant to me and it made me look at my life in a different way. Let me share:

Welcome problems as perspective lifters. My children tend to sleepwalk through their days until the bump into an obstacle that stymies them. If you encounter a problem with no immediate solution, your response to that situation can take you either up or down. You can lash out at that difficulty, resenting it and feeling sorry for yourself. This will take you down into a pit of self pity. Alternatively, the problem can be a ladder, enabling you to climb up and see your life from My perspective. Viewed from above, the obstacle that frustrated you is only a light and momentary trouble. Once your perspective has been heightened, you can look away from the problem altogether. Turn toward Me, and see the Light of My Presence shining upon you.

Those first two words blew me away. Welcome problems? I did not think those words belonged in the same sentence together. The more I considered this, however, it made sense. In John 16, Jesus promises his disciples that they WILL have problems in this world, however, in the same breath, he tells them to take heart because he has overcome the world.

The planner in me does not like to allow for problems or roadblocks that I see as unnecessary in my finite wisdom. As a result, I used to lock up when situations didn't go "my way." These words started me down a new path--or should I say--up a ladder--where I began to strive to look for God's hand in unexpected situations instead of wasting time being upset. I still struggle with this, but I'm thankful for a God who is patient and continues to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment