Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankfulness Abounds: the fog

"As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions.  You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze.

Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you by your right hand.  You recall My promise to guide you with My counsel, and you begin to relax.

As you look at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over it, obscuring your view.  You can only see a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Me and begin to enjoy My Presence.

The fog is protection for you, calling you back into the present moment.  Although I inhabit all of space and time, you can communicate with Me only here and now.  Someday the fog will no longer be necessary, for you will have learned to keep your focus on Me and on the path just ahead of you."

-Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, November 16th

It's foggy and raining today in DC.  I have never put "peaceful" and "fog" together in the same sentence, but I appreciate the notion that a fog can actually be a way to remind me to focus only on what is right in front of me--the present moment--instead of looking behind or wondering what is ahead.

It's so tempting to demand a road map.  To spend all my time examining what the path appears to look like ahead, but neglecting the part of the road I am currently passing through.

Do you ever feel this way?  I often wonder if I will ever fully train myself to live in the present.

Psalm 73 reminds us:

"Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel"

I am thankful that I have a God who gives grace and guidance for every present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment