Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chicago: Museum Days

Although it may surprise you, we did more than just eat on the trip!  (If all we had done was eat, I would have been fine with that too).

On Friday we spent most of the afternoon at the Art Institute of Chicago.  Since you could spend days wandering through the hallways and galleries, we decided to pick a few "must see" pieces and then walk through the rest.
Paris Street, Rainy Day
Gustave Caillebotte, 1877

This painting made me want to duck into a little French cafe and enjoy some espresso with a pink macaroon.  Now wouldn't that be lovely?
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte
Georges Seurat, 1884

This painting has been featured several places throughout pop culture, but the one I remembered best was the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when Ferris, Sloane and Cameron escape to the Art Institute and Cameron just stands there and stares at the painting.

Kern and I took plenty of time to stareeeeeeeeeeee.

Half Armor for Foot Tourney at the Barriers, 1575/80
Weight: 38 pounds, 13 ounces
The Bedroom
Vincent van Gogh, 1889

Hinoki (cypress wood), 2007
Charles Ray

This sculpture has an amazing story, best told by Charles himself.
Find it here
American Gothic, 1930
Grant Wood
Posing with Wish Kitty in front of a giant kitty statue in front of the Art Institute

Wish Kitty got to come to Chicago, just like to she got to travel to Boston last fall!

On Monday, we headed to the Field Museum.

Just hanging with bison
Exploring Native American cultures
Sue!  Sue is the largest, most complete and best preserved T. rex that has ever been discovered.
She was named for the woman who found her - Sue Hendrickson

She has aged beautifully!

This hippo replica was built in the 1930's and is enclosed in a glass case  because the materials that were available for them to use in the '30's were flammable.

Homo Sapiens...and me
After spending several hours in both the Art Institute and the Field Museum, I remembered how much I love the opportunity of visiting different museums.  Then I remembered that some of the best museums in the worlds are walking distance from my house...

So: I resolve to visit more of the Smithsonian Museums!  I'm typing it here so you will hold me to this grand declaration.  My goal is to visit one per month (that doesn't seem hard, right?)

Would anyone like to go with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment