Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

The last 10 days have been full of traveling...and drama.  Kern and I spent five days in Chicago with his parents (more posts coming on that trip) and while we were there, my dear mother fell off a ladder and broke her left arm in 3 places.  She was scheduled for surgery, and with my brother's wedding in 3 weeks, I decided to hop on a plane and head home for a few days to help - doing everything from laundry to cooking to painting centerpieces to organizing for the wedding.

In between these two trips, I went back to work for one day, attempted to wrap up and prep to be gone again, re-packed my suitcase and tried to get sleep (the latter didn't happen).

The silver lining, of course, was that I got to spend some much needed time with my family and even be home for Mother's Day.  By Sunday, Mom was in day four of recovery and feeling a bit better.

We started out the day with fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast:

1 cup spinach
1 cup kale
1/2 cup pineapple
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1/2 of an orange
1/2 cup water (ice cubes if you want the drink cold immediately)



The centerpiece arrangement was my gift to Gran Fran


Beautiful hydrangeas


Two of Mom's gifts' - a new Wolfe Bird and a French cottage (limoge)

Mother's Day Lunch was a special shrimp salad.  I will post the recipe at some point on the blog.  
It was easy to make and extremely flavorful.
I made homemade Sweet Basil Lime dressing.

Dessert was a three layer strawberry cake - the cake and icing were made with fresh berries.


Three Generations: Gran Fran, Marcia, Emily


My dad, mom and me


The patient: healing slowly but surely.
I'm thankful for good doctors and great medical care.
Get well soon, Mom!

Even though I was busy doing tasks around the house, it was so nice to be home.  
Happy (late) Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment