Friday, April 6, 2012

Grace is Greater


I've been pondering the cross, Jesus, his crucifixion, grace and the resurrection this week.

It's a story and truths that I have been told my entire life--I don't remember when I learned it--but sometimes it still doesn't make sense or seem real to me.

Jesus came to earth and took human form, lived a perfect life, then suffered separation from God and death on the cross so that MY SINS would be forgiven?  I, who constantly put myself first, who spend more time getting ready for work in the morning than reading my Bible, who many times choose the option that makes myself comfortable over what I know is right.

See?  That doesn't really make sense does it?  In our world, it seems to good to be true.  Thankfully, in God's perfect plan, it is true.  I didn't do anything to deserve it, and since my actions have no part in my salvation, it cannot be taken away, even when I sin.  It's so humbling that I'm often brought to tears even though I've known this truth since I was a little girl.

I hope I never stop tearing up and getting emotional about it.

There's so much to consider over the next few days as we celebrate Christ's death and resurrection, but I would encourage you to remember the basic facts and really reconnect with truths you have heard hundreds of times.  Let those truths wash over you--it's refreshing!

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.

Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Marvelous, infinite matchless grace,
Freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see his face,
Will you this moment His grace receive?

--Grace Greater Than Our Sin by Julia Johnston

Happy Easter!  May you be encouraged by the work that Jesus did on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment